Habitual multitaskers do it badly, study shows

This is one of my most (and by that I mean least) productive multitasking co-workers.

(Credit: Dong Ngo/CNET)

If you can't read through this article in one sitting, you may be in serious trouble. The good news is you wouldn't discover what your problem is. Are you still reading?

It has been my presumption that multitaskers are generally more productive than people who prefer to do one thing at a time. Typical examples of those with what I call "occupational short attention span" tend to be workers in high-tech environments, including me and most of my CNET co-workers.

At any given time, we're bombarded with e-mails, text messages, instant messages, and phone calls. That's not to mention Facebook and Twitter feeds. And I want our boss to believe that all that communicating makes us a more productive bunch. Turns out that could be all wrong.

According to a new study released by a group of Stanford University researchers Tuesday, people who regularly deal with several streams of electronic information simultaneously do not pay attention, control their memory, or switch from one job to another any better than those who prefer to complete one task at a time. Actually, they fare worse.

... Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment